Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Precession of Mooses

Procession of Mooses, 8x10 inches
Watercolor, ink, metallic pen, gouache
I loved making this painting. It started as a watercolor. I poured the watercolor on Arches 140lb cold press paper and after it dried, I repeated the process few more times. It sat in my studio for about six months. Last week, I decided to be challenged by the shapes and colors. I used Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay Inks for the next pour of color. What I like about these inks is their waterproof quality once dry, and so glazing over them with watercolors does not invite muddiness. Then, I began to study the shapes and use watercolors to increase contrasts and define shapes. After that, I began to see the picture and all I had to do is to reach for gouaches. I have many colors premixed in small plastic containers and they seem to last for ever. The process of putting dots down is very meditative. I also used metallic gel pen to add copper hued lines. I actually really like this picture. It is the first one since my art education courses, that brought me back to that place of marvel and participation with imagination in a child like way. I love that when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment